It’s Clearly Time For New Gold Standards
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
Often heralded as one of the most important scientific advances in molecular biology, PCR revolutionized the study of DNA.
Medical experts are now warning of a
return to the pre-antibiotic era…
Proper Diagnosis Matters
Advantages of PCR:
- PCR is undeniably faster, more sensitive and more accurate than standard Culture test.
- PCR doesn’t compromise on the amount of meaningful data it provides for speed. Conversely, our UTI Panel and Wound Panel detect Fungi, Gram -/+ Bacteria, Resistance Genes and provide CDC and FDA supported treatment guidance, all within 12 to 24 hours. Standard Culture tests simply can’t compare.
- MedArbor’s RPP Panel provides physicians with detection of a combination of 36 viral, bacterial and fungal targets including 4 resistance genes.
- PCR results are not dependent on a lab tech’s abilities, nor the time it takes to grow bacteria in a culture dish resulting in more comprehensive and accurate sets of data with faster turn-around times. Learn more about our STI, Women’s Health and Nail Fungal Panel’s.
- A fast and inexpensive technique used to “amplify” – copy – small segments of DNA.
- Once amplified, the DNA produced by PCR can be used in many different laboratory procedures. For example, most mapping techniques in the Human Genome Project (HGP) relied on PCR.
- PCR is extremely valuable and useful for Infectious Disease Applications – the detection of bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Quickly identifies mixed, mono and polymicrobial infections AND gene resistance markers.
- PCR allows for rapid and highly specific diagnosis of infectious diseases, including those caused by bacteria or viruses. PCR also permits identification of non-cultivatable or slow-growing microorganisms such as mycobacteria, anaerobic bacteria, or viruses.